Chief Administrative Officer, R.M. of Mervin No. 499
An exciting and diverse career in municipal administration is waiting for you! The Rural Municipality of Mervin is searching for a Chief Administrative Officer (CAO) to join their team in Turtleford. As the CAO you will be integral to the operations of the rural municipality while being the main point of contact between ratepayers, councils and governments. You will have the ability to contribute to the overall sustainability of the community as well as being involved with everything within the municipality including fire protection services, vet clinic operations, District #38 rat board and municipal medical clinic operations, just to name a few.
Turtleford is a strong thriving community, located equidistant between the larger centers of Lloydminster and North Battleford. The region has a diversified background with a strong agricultural sector and a vibrant oil and gas sector. There are various amenities within the region including hockey arenas, curling rinks, bowling alleys, golf courses, schools, a health complex with 24 hr emergency services and daycare facilities just to name a few. This, along with the various recreational activities that are available in the surrounding area due to the close proximity of having Brightsand Lake and Turtle Lake in the community, make it a haven for recreational enthusiasts.
If you are looking for a diverse and challenging career that is rewarding and offers a chance to make a real difference within the community, this may be the role for you!
Reporting to the Council and working in collaboration with the office staff members, the CAO is responsible for the overall administration and human resources management of the municipality. The CAO will maintain a professional code of conduct, demonstrate integrity, and exercise sound business judgement in carrying out the responsibilities consistent with the R.M. of Mervin’s strategic plan.
Administration: The CAO is the administrative head of the municipality and is responsible for the overall administration of the municipality including:
- Meetings of Council – preparing and organizing all meeting agendas; recording the minutes of all municipal meetings; and providing council with sound advice on all aspects of municipal governance and legislative requirements.
- By-laws – ensuring all required bylaws and resolutions are in-place and up to date; preparing resolutions and by-laws for the municipality.
- Implementing council priorities – ensuring the policies, programs and services of the municipality are implemented; monitoring, evaluating and reporting back to council on the policies, programs and services of the municipality; and answering all public requests, inquiries and / or complaints, and ensuring a high standard of customer service.
Human Resource Management: The CAO has overall responsibility in the management and supervision of the employees of the municipality. Specific duties may include:
- Recruitment and development of employees – including hiring, training, evaluating, promoting and dismissing employees.
- Developing a human resource recruitment / retention plan.
Skills & Qualifications:
- Applicant must possess a Rural Class “C” Certificate in Local Government Administration with preference given to a Rural Class “A”. A degree in Commerce, Business or Public Administration from an accredited university or an accounting designation would be deemed an asset. A two-year Public Administration Certificate/Diploma from an approved technical institute would also be considered.
- Sound ability to demonstrate support for innovation and for organizational changes needed to improve the municipality’s effectiveness; initiate, sponsor and implement organizational change; and help others to successfully manage organizational change.
- Ability to develop, implement and evaluate programs, policies and procedures.
- Experience working at the management level including the ability to direct, supervise and evaluate the performance of administrative personnel through effective and sound communication.
- Ability to develop relationships and work collaboratively at all levels and areas within the organization.
- A customer centric professional with excellent customer service skill while managing challenging conflicts.
- Ability to lead, direct and manage program and policy development and delivery.
- Strong decision making and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
If you are interested in municipal administration, are of the highest integrity, enjoy meeting people, have a strong accounting background and would like to make your home in a rural setting where a progressive community spirit remains alive and well, this may be the career for you.
Resumes including references and indicating expected salary will be received in confidence until 4:00 p.m., Friday October 23rd, 2020.
If you feel you have the demonstrated background and are interested in learning more about this opportunity, please forward your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.