Skip to content Skip to right sidebar Skip to footer

Development Permit

Development Permit Applications

**If the proposed development will construct, erect, alter, repair, renovate, or reconstruct a building, a Building Permit shall also be required with the submission of a development permit. If applicable, a Development Permit will not be approved until an approved Building Permit has also been obtained.**

Development Permit Application – 2023

Description:   The RM of Mervin requires the submission of Development Permit Applications for all residential and commercial structures over 100 sq. ft. anywhere within the RM, except for bunkhouses, which require the submission of a permit regardless of size.

Agriculturally related structures constructed on farms do not need to submit a permit to the RM office, but all buildings are to be located 47.5 metres (150 feet) back from the centre of any nearby road allowance.  This would include the placing of granaries and barns.

Development permit applications can take up to 1 – 2 months to process as additional information is often required.  Permits may need to be sent to individual Hamlet Boards for review, and the permit may need to be reviewed and decided upon by the RM Council (particularly for discretionary uses).  The time of year also plays a significant role on how quickly permits are processed, so ratepayers are encouraged to get their permit in early to provide sufficient time for approval prior to installation or construction.

Permitted Uses: Are identified in each individual zoning district as the intended uses for development within that district.

Discretionary Uses: Are identified in each individual zoning district as not the typical use for the zoning district, and thereby needs to be approved by RM Council.

Permitted Developments:$100.00
Discretionary Developments: $200.00

Payment can be made by cash, cheque, debit, credit (2.72% fee applies), or by E-transfer to [email protected]

For E-transfer payments, please include the applicant name, location, and reason for the payment in the memo as well as provide us with the password by either email or phone.

Site Plan:   The following information should be submitted with all site plans:

  • Cardinal points (i.e., north arrow)
  • Parcel dimensions
  • Label, provide location and dimensions of all existing buildings and structures and all distances
  • Label, provide location and distances of all proposed buildings and structures and all distances
  • Location of water and sewer utility system, with distances to property boundary
  • Location of all existing and proposed approaches and driveways.
  • Location of adjacent roadway.
  • Location of distinguishing physical features located on or adjacent to the property including (such as in Turtle Lake or Bright Sand Lake), sloughs, streams, drainage ways including culverts, wetlands, slopes, bluffs, etc.;
  • Floor plan for residential buildings (i.e, cabins, bunkhouses).
  • Cross-section diagram of decks.
  • Location of on-site parking (if applicable).

Floor Plan:  All residential development must submit a floor plan showing the number of bedrooms, bathrooms and living space.

Validity:  All permits are valid for one (1) year time periods from the date on the official Notice of Decision.  Permits can be extended in one (1) year increments with a written request to the RM of Mervin Development Officer.

Attachments:  Development permit application, site plan example, deck cross-section example

Well & Septic System Installation

Description:  For any residential or commercial development that has plumbing installed (i.e., water and sewer systems), all applications must be approved through Prairie North Health Region.  Prairie North completes the on-site inspections to ensure the services meet Public Health Regulations.

Contact Info:

Prairie North Health Region:

Real Property Surveyor’s Reports (RPSR)

Description: A RPSR is a plan and report prepared in respect of a survey performed for the purpose of certifying the location of all visible permanent structures (including both primary and accessory buildings) relative to the boundaries of the parcel of land.  These reports must be completed by a certified Saskatchewan Land Surveyor.

Where:  Any proposed residential or commercial development that directly borders another residential or commercial development shall be required to submit the RPSR.  This typically is required in any Lakeshore Development District, Country Residential District and Commercial District.

What Buildings: Any structure that has a total main floor area of 200 sq. ft. or more, requires the submission of the RPSR.  Open decks do not require the submission of the Report, but decks that have a roof attached to the principal building do require the submission of the Report.

When: The RPSR is to be completed at time of foundation, prior to the construction or installation of the remainder of the building to ensure that the building is adequately setback from property lines.

Hazard Lands: RPSR’s shall be required for development permit applications proposed on potentially hazardous lands, or lands with a registered Safe Building Elevation (SBE) interest registered to the title pursuant to section 130 of the Planning and Development Act, 2007.  These reports are required to show the elevation of the finished main floor area, which must be higher than the SBE interest registered.

Attachments:    Saskatchewan Land Surveyor contact list.

* Applicants are required to obtain their own quotes for their RPSR; prices will vary.


Saskatchewan Land Surveyor Association:

Carbon Monoxide and Smoke Alarms:

As of July 1st, 2022, all buildings with a residential occupancy (i.e. sleeping quarters) are required to have carbon monoxide detectors and smoke alarms installed by July 1, 2022. Local authorities are responsible for enforcing this requirement and could write an order requiring the owner to comply.

All buildings that will have residential occupancy such as a bunkhouse, sleep shack, or any building where a person is expected to sleep are required to have a carbon monoxide and smoke alarm.

The size of the building, age of the building, or if the building is seasonally occupied (e.g., cottages) does not exempt the building’s owner from needing to comply.

Site-Specific Geotechnical Reports

Description:  A site-specific geotechnical report is an Engineer evaluation to assess the soil composition and surface water level on an individual lot or parcel.  This report will evaluate whether additional foundation or flood-proofing will be required for a residential dwelling unit adjacent to a lake.

* Applicants are required to obtain their own quotes for their Geotechnical Report; prices will vary.

Due to the age of many of the Organized and Unorganized Hamlets within the RM of Mervin around Turtle Lake and Bright Sand Lake, many of these communities have water and drainage concerns.  This geotechnical report will ensure the construction of a full basement will not cause adverse effects for water and drainage to surrounding developments within the Organized or Unorganized Hamlet.

Where:  Within the LD1 – Lakeshore Development 1 District only, which is predominantly lake-front residential lots within Organized and Unorganized Hamlets.

What Buildings:  This requirement is only for construction where the proposal includes a full basement, as defined in the RM of Mervin Zoning Bylaw.  This requirement is not applicant to crawl spaces, as defined within the Zoning Bylaw.